Riverside Parish Church, Dumbarton
Based on 16 hours per week. £9.80 per hour.
We have a vacancy for an experienced part time secretary/administrator. We are a faith based organisation and would expect the successful candidate to be in sympathy with and supportive of the ethos within our community.
The role entails the provision of administrative and communication support to our church community. In addition to the strong administrative skills to provide diary management, reception, telephone and general office duties you will also act as the administration focal point for the many internal and external groups hiring space within our hall complex.
You will be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications and expertise in the use of social media will be advantageous. While necessarily being a team player you will also demonstrate self motivation, work prioritising skills and an ability to work without close supervision whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
Ability to maintain confidentiality is essential.
Your excellent communication skills will also enable you to engage successfully with a wide range of people.
Normal working hours will be 9.30 to 12.30 Monday to Friday with 1 hour per week being banked for minute taking at Congregational Board and Kirk Session meetings (evenings) and for other out of hours tasks as required.
To provide administrative and communication support.
The secretary/administrator will report to the Clerk to the Board and will liaise with members of the Ministry team, congregation, groups hiring hall accommodation, suppliers and utility providers as a first line of enquiry.
Skills and abilities
* Experience in working in a secretarial role.
* Experience in the use of Microsoft Office applications.
* Good administrative skills with the ability to work on own initiative and to manage and prioritise workload.
* Ability to produce minutes, spreadsheets, reports and PDF documents.
* Excellent networking skills and the ability to relate and communicate effectively and sensitively with a wide range of people.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Ability to work occasional out of hours.
* Sympathetic to the aims and ethos of a faith based organisation.
* Expertise in the use of social media e.g. Riverside website, Facebook, Twitter etc.
* Ability to schedule Zoom meetings.
* Understanding of how to use tools such as We Transfer and Dropbox.
* Knowledge and understanding of working in a church environment.
* Experience of working with volunteers.
The successful candidate will be employed by Riverside Parish Church, Dumbarton. The church is a registered charity – number SC002937.
Although there is no requirement for the Church Secretary/Administrator to be a member of the Church they are expected to be sympathetic to the work and witness of the Church of Scotland and Riverside Parish Church in particular and to become familiar with the structure and ethos of the congregation.
The appointment will be for a probationary period of three months in the first instance.