About the Church of Scotland in Dumbarton
Following a number of changes to the Presbytery of Dumbarton’s plan for the area it was decided that the three congregations within the town of Dumbarton (St Andrews, Riverside and The West Kirk) should be linked with a view to some form of union at a future date. This triple linkage was completed on 17th January 2018 at a Presbytery service of linkage and induction. The Rev. Ian Johnson is the minister for all three congregations. He leads our ministry team which now includes Development Worker Marie Clare Dungavell and Pastoral Assistant Maureen Burke.
Under normal circumstances worship would be continuing at each of the three parish churches in Dumbarton, but due to Covid-19 church services are restricted. Follow our regular Sunday service using the links below:
- Sunday Worship, 16 May 2021If I go and prepare a place for you, I shall come again and take you to myself, so that where I am you me be also John 14: 3
- Ascension Day Service, Thursday 13 May 2021We see Jesus, who for a short while was made subordinate to the angels, crowned now with glory and honour. Hebrews 2: 9
Click on the title/date to view the full service of worship.
Thought for the Day
Since the start of the Corona Virus Lockdown in mid-March the Minister has been publishing daily thoughts and prayers. The most recent ones are listed here:
- Thought for the day 15 May15 Christian Aid Week Livelihoods and migration If you are a farmer (whether subsistence, or growing cash crops) and there is a drought so that your crops, and maybe livestock, die, or you have floods that wash away your crops, what do you do? You might be able to survive …
- Thought for the day 14 May14 Food security People in Dumbarton and West Dunbartonshire may grow food for fun in the garden or allotment, but in order to live, we buy what we need in shops or supermarkets. We notice when some of our favourites are not available, and we may notice if the price …
- Thought for the day 13 May13 Ascension It is now 40 days since Easter. Taking literally the phrase that Jesus left his disciples to return to his father’s side, the church has designated the Thursday 40 days after Easter as Ascension Day. We celebrate Jesus’ return to glory, and the completion of his work on …
- Thought for the day 12 May12 Christian Aid Week Wildlife and habitats Here in Dumbarton we are very fortunate with the variety of habitats that we have (hill/ crag/ moor, woodland, salt water shoreline, fresh water shoreline/ river/ burns) and the variety of wildlife (foxes/deer/rabbits/otters; gulls, oyster-catchers, herons, egret, dippers, ravens, house martins, finches, sparrows, …
- Thought for the day 11 May11 Christian Aid Week Rainfall and drought We love to talk weather, which usually means that we have a wee moan about it. There were some pretty heavy showers yesterday, but it is supposed to be dry today. We get irritated when the media go on about how lovely the …
- Thought for the day 10 May10 Christian Aid Week (10-16) Rising sea levels Christian Aid Week this year is focussing on Climate Change and Climate Justice. One of the effects of Climate Change is the melting of the polar ice caps, and rising sea levels. Countries like the Maldives and some of the Pacific coral …
- Lent Studies
- Thursdays 25 February – 25 March 10.30-11.30am
- Tursdays 25 February – 25 March 7.30-8.30pm
Theme: Getting to know each other
- 25 Feb Human bingo
- 4 Mar Desert island hymns
- 11Mar Sharing our stories
- 18 Mar Understanding different generations
- 25 Mar What do I call you?
- Lent Lunches
- Thursdays 25 February – 30 March. 12noon-12.45pm
- Bring along your lunch and chat to others online.
- Short reflection at the end
- contact the minister for the link
- Lent and Easter Activities for Younger Members
Building on the Mary, Joseph and the Donkey approach in Advent, Marie Claire is planning to make some decorated stones with symbols associated with the Easter story, and hide them around Dumbarton. Pictures will appear on Facebook, people will be encouraged to look for them and make their own stones to add to the collection. Copies will be shared with schools. Further details will be given in the ‘notices’ in a Sunday service, and on the Facebook pages
- Activities for Lent 2021
- Thursdays 25 February – 25 March on Zoom 10.30am or 7.30pm
- (contact minister for access link)
- Thursdays 25 February – 25 March on Zoom
- Bring your own lunch, chat with others and short devotions
- (contact minister for access link)
This is the joint website for Dumbarton: St Andrews, Dumbarton: Riverside and Dumbarton: West Kirk.
Due to the challenges of the Corona Virus COVID-19 and the need to do as much as possible online we are combining our efforts on this page to avoid duplication and to streamline our efforts around worship, Bible readings, prayer and wider community support.
Further details about the three Church of Scotland parishes in Dumbarton can be found below: