About the Church of Scotland in Dumbarton
Following a number of changes to the Presbytery of Dumbarton’s plan for the area it was decided that the three congregations within the town of Dumbarton (St Andrews, Riverside and The West Kirk) should be linked with a view to some form of union at a future date. This triple linkage was completed on 17th January 2018 at a Presbytery service of linkage and induction. The Rev. Ian Johnson is the minister for all three congregations. He leads our ministry team which now includes Development Worker Marie Clare Dungavell and Pastoral Assistant Maureen Burke.
Under normal circumstances worship would be continuing at each of the three parish churches in Dumbarton, but due to Covid-19 church services are restricted. Follow our regular Sunday service using the links below:
- Sunday Worship, 28 February 2021Welcome: When Christ appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is 1 John 3: 2
- Sunday Worship, 21 February 2021Lent, Welcome; God keeps his faith and will not let you be tested beyond your powers 1 Corinthians 10: 13
Click on the date above to view the full service of worship.
Thought for the Day
Since the start of the Corona Virus Lockdown in mid-March the Minister has been publishing daily thoughts and prayers. The most recent ones are listed here:
- Thought for the day 3 March3 National hearing day During the pandemic restrictions we have become accustomed to wearing face coverings when we go into shops etc. Sometimes we have ‘fun’ trying to recognise someone behind their face covering. We also find challenges trying to have a conversation when you have to stand 2m apart …
- Thought for the day 2 March2 Eating disorders week 1-7 March Most people eat to live, some appear to live to eat. Some don’t have enough food because of poverty or famine, and go hungry. Some don’t eat a balanced diet of ‘healthy’ food because of poverty-related issues. There are also a substantial number of …
- Thought for the day 1 March1 March St David’s Day Marie Curie Daffodil Appeal starts Today is St David’s Day, a focus for Welsh people everywhere to express their sense of identity and community. The emblem of Wales is the daffodil. It is also the emblem of the Marie Curie Cancer Charity, which provides care …
- Thought for the day 27 February27 Sort of typical isn’t it: Friday was lovely and sunny, Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be good weather, but at the weekend it’s cloudy and wet. How often does that happen? But life’s a bit like that. There are many things, like the weather, that we can’t control. …
- Thought for the day 26 February26 I saw an interesting story in the news today about Russian diplomats returning home from North Korea with their families and luggage facing a problem getting over the border. North Korea has stopped all trains going in or out of the country as Coronavirus-prevention measures. So the diplomats travelled …
- Thought for the day 25 February25 There was a piece in the news today that a number of investment bank bosses would like to see an end to home working, and return to ‘traditional’ office life, once the pandemic restrictions are lifted. That may not affect very many readers of this ‘thought’, or their friends, …
- Lent Studies
- Thursdays 25 February – 25 March 10.30-11.30am
- Tursdays 25 February – 25 March 7.30-8.30pm
Theme: Getting to know each other
- 25 Feb Human bingo
- 4 Mar Desert island hymns
- 11Mar Sharing our stories
- 18 Mar Understanding different generations
- 25 Mar What do I call you?
- Lent Lunches
- Thursdays 25 February – 30 March. 12noon-12.45pm
- Bring along your lunch and chat to others online.
- Short reflection at the end
- contact the minister for the link
- Lent and Easter Activities for Younger Members
Building on the Mary, Joseph and the Donkey approach in Advent, Marie Claire is planning to make some decorated stones with symbols associated with the Easter story, and hide them around Dumbarton. Pictures will appear on Facebook, people will be encouraged to look for them and make their own stones to add to the collection. Copies will be shared with schools. Further details will be given in the ‘notices’ in a Sunday service, and on the Facebook pages
- Activities for Lent 2021
- Thursdays 25 February – 25 March on Zoom 10.30am or 7.30pm
- (contact minister for access link)
- Thursdays 25 February – 25 March on Zoom
- Bring your own lunch, chat with others and short devotions
- (contact minister for access link)
This is the joint website for Dumbarton: St Andrews, Dumbarton: Riverside and Dumbarton: West Kirk.
Due to the challenges of the Corona Virus COVID-19 and the need to do as much as possible online we are combining our efforts on this page to avoid duplication and to streamline our efforts around worship, Bible readings, prayer and wider community support.
Further details about the three Church of Scotland parishes in Dumbarton can be found below: